Thursday, May 1, 2008

Twelve weeks!

I'm really glad to be at 12 weeks. It seems in some ways that this time is going slowly by, and in other ways that it's actually passed remarkably fast. I mean, it doesn't seem like it's been almost 2 months since I found out I was pregnant, but to have been sick pretty consistently for a month and a half makes me feel at times that the morning (uh, I mean all day) sickness is never going to end. I know it will, though, and I don't have it as hard as some people. So I really shouldn't complain. Actually, it seems to have gotten better lately. (As I type that I wonder if I'll have spoken too soon!) Last Thursday and Friday I felt so good that one of the days I went for a walk (albeit quite short) with the kids. We avoided being on the Wall street sidewalk though and stuck to the side roads and alley, which really helped while trying to keep track of three kids and a puppy all full of wanderlust. The amazing part was, I can't remember which day but one of these I didn't throw up at all.
Saturday I couldn't do much more than lay around the first half of the day, but in the afternoon I managed to get through a trip to the circus. It was a lot of fun but I was so worn out by night time.
Sunday and Monday were the first TWO days in a row without throwing up since before Holy Saturday. They were great--both days we went to a park! Monday I even made a regular dinner for my family.
So, even though I haven't felt as amazing as that since then, it's still encouraging to have had those days. I think God gives the good days as kind of an assurance that it won't always be this way, and to help me to keep going on the harder days too.
And I'm convinced that some women would have to go through this kind of pregnancy to really understand that morning/all day sickness is something that I have much less control over than they might think. If I feel good one morning, it's not because my attitude is better. There's no apparent reason to me for my feeling good, and I would love to feel that way every morning. If I feel sick one morning there is no way to get to feeling better but taking it extremely easy, eat something that sounds edible, and lay down as much as I possibly can. And the feeling better may not come for a day or more...but I'll feel worse if I try to ignore the sick feeling.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Yay, for good days!! I too have been having some really good days. I had a couple where I only got sick once or twice. Which means I am now keeping down more food then I am losing and won't need an IV. Praise God for the middle weeks when we get a much needed brake from the yuck. I am so excited to be on the road to feeling somewhat normal. Just in time for the nice sunshine too.

Rebekah said...

Hooray! That's great, I'm SO glad you won't have to have an IV! Praise God. And yes, I'm so glad it's coinciding with the FINALLY spring weather. :-)

Anonymous said...

I know I don't have any morning sickness experience, but I do know what it's like to wish that people would understand I'm not just being sick so that I don't have to do work. Staying in bed is okay every once in a while, but it just gets so annoying and even tiring!

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Hannah! Yes, I totally agree. :-) And I don't mean to say no one can understand unless they've been through it, because there are people who try to understand even though their pregnancies don't involve sickness (or never had a pregnancy).

Sarah Faith said...

Do people really tell you that morning sickness is something you can control?
I mean, sure you can do some dietary things SOMETIMES but other than that... what are they smoking?

Lynne' said...

I always got SO frustrated when I was sick with Lily. We'd just moved and I really wanted to do stuff.. and just couldn't. When I made myself (which.. I don't know was that great of an idea) I'd get so worn out and sensitive that I'd cry at the slightest thing. Just be careful not to over do it on the good days! :)

(I feel like the tenant situation that was so hard at the time though made it worse because it made me depressed... but.. perhaps it was just a coincidence that a bunch of hard things were at the same time as the first few months.)